Autor Thema: Locomotive speed dependent on voltage  (Gelesen 1885 mal)

Offline Andrzej

• Senior-Mitglied
Locomotive speed dependent on voltage
« am: 02. Oktober 2015, 04:26:31 »
Recently I did some tests with BiDiB modules. I think there are some interesting observations on changing power supply voltage and locomotive speed, which are worthy to share. It could happen with any command station, my tests were done using BiDiB. I used variable power supply, so the voltage can be precisely adjusted. After all headaches with speed measure devices I use straight track 3,6 meters long with track occupancy detectors.

The results for Roco 72221 steam locomotive Ty2 (BR52) with factory installed sound decoder (Zimo MX645), CV5=136, and acceleration/deceleration delay turned off, are as follows:
17V max speed 110 km/h
16V max speed 101 km/h
15V max speed 94 km/h
14V max speed 87 km/h

Of course, higher speeds are more affected on voltage than lower speeds. Our precisely calibrated locomotives need the same voltage in every corner of the layout. Some track occupancy detectors cut down 1,4V of voltage, sometimes poor wiring lowers voltage. If many boosters are used, all should be calibrated to the same voltage.
Andrzej
  • Win-Digipet-Version:
    WDP 2021.2c Premium Eng
  • Anlagenkonfiguration:
    DCC; BiDiB
  • Rechnerkonfiguration:
    Win10Pro, iPhone 13

Offline Stefan Lersch

• Senior-Mitglied
    • Infos zum Down-Syndrom alias Trisomie 21
Re: Locomotive speed dependent on voltage
« Antwort #1 am: 02. Oktober 2015, 11:39:12 »
Hi Kuba,

correct observation! This is indeed true. Fortunately the loss of power over the tracks is usually not very big. That means that our eyes don't see a difference in most cases.
Viele Grüße,
Stefan
  • Win-Digipet-Version:
    WDP 2021.x Beta
  • Anlagenkonfiguration:
    N-Anlage im Bau, Minitrix &amp Co., Tams MC 2.2.3, DCC
  • Rechnerkonfiguration:
    Quad Core 8 GB mit Win 10, 32"quot Bildschirm

Offline Adrian L

• Senior-Mitglied
Re: Locomotive speed dependent on voltage
« Antwort #2 am: 02. Oktober 2015, 15:42:34 »
Oh this is a nightmare.. I have just upgraded from an eCos 1 with a fixed power supply output voltage to the eCos 2 with the adjustable power supply voltage. It means that I need to re-calibrate over 60 locos and make sure that no one fiddles with the power setting on the power supply.  7-9 km/hr is a significant variation..

Then there is the boosted sections..  :(

Thanks for the excellent research Kuba - even if it means rework for me..  8)
Adrian
WDP 2018.2d on Intel i5 (8Gb RAM) running Windows 10 Professional (64-bit) with ESU ECoS 50200 version 4.2.7, ESU Mobile Control II and LDT HSI-88 USB running Marklin M-track based layout - and loving it!
  • Win-Digipet-Version:
    2018.2d
  • Anlagenkonfiguration:
    Marklin H0
  • Rechnerkonfiguration:
    Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) Intel i5 (8Gb RAM) SSD